Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sometimes in winter

In the springtime, when the hummingbirds return to Minnesota, I spend hours watching them visit our feeders. Once I've identified them and the direction different pairs fly off to, I then start to hang out on the back side of the house, trying to discover their favorite landing places in hopes of finding their nests.

This year I didn't have as much time for bird watching so I wasn't successful in my quest for a nest. I knew one of the pairs was somewhere just above the house, but with the sun always glaring in my eyes I could never find them hidden among the leaves.

Until today. Sometimes in winter I can find them.  When all the leaves are gone and the hummingbirds have long since headed to the warmer temperatures of Central America, their nests jump right out at me, high above the house, like a golfball silhouetted against the late afternoon sky.


It makes me eager for spring, when the birds will return once again to provide me with entertainment as I watch them, and later their babies, buzz around the feeders, battling one another for the longest sip.

Hurry back hummingbirds!

1 comment:

Becca said...

I've been trying, without any luck, to get hummingbirds to come to my house. I'm going to try again this year, after receiving some new advice from a family member. I had *no* idea what a hummingbird nest looks like, but now that I do, I'll keep a look-out for them. Very cool!